It’s foodie season once again, and time for the results of the Michelin Bib Gourmand 2019. This year, 58 eateries in Singapore have achieved this coveted distinction, with 12 new entrants—all of these places serve up quality, value-for-money food that doesn’t exceed S$45.
The full list includes 33 hawker stalls, six street food establishments, and other eateries, which just goes to show that the best food might not be the most expensive. Take a look at these three stalls that we were particularly impressed by, then scroll through the full list at the bottom of the article.
Is there any wonder that there’s a queue for the S$5 wonton mee at Chef Kang’s Noodle House in Toa Payoh?
Owned by Chef Ang Song Kang—his Cantonese restaurant Chef Kang’s Kitchen was awarded one Michelin star in 2017—this humble wonton mee stall serves up a lip-smackingly good bowl of noodles.
Chef Kang’s Noodle House 江师傅面家: 11 Lorong Toa Payoh, Jackson Square, Blk A, #01-34, Singapore 319579 | Opening Hours: 8am – 4pm (Tues to Sun), Closed on Mon
Two of the best things combined into one: claypot, and laksa.
Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Claypot Laksa 德普路真善美砂煲叻沙 is helmed by second-generation owner Mr Zhang. His aunt, Madam Ang Siew Yan, is the original owner who sold laksa in claypots for over 10 years at Depot Road.
Starting from S$4 a bowl, you can even add cockles (or hum) for S$2.50. You’ll want to slurp up every last drop of laksa broth.
Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Claypot Laksa 德普路真善美砂煲叻沙: 120 Bukit Merah Lane 1, Alexandra Village, #01-75, Singapore 151120 | Opening Hours: 9am – 5pm (Mon to Sat), Closed on Sun
3. Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa 馳名結霜橋三輪車叻沙
This may be a laksa stall that’s on the Michelin Bib Gourmand since 2016, but one of their speciality dishes will intrigue you. Ever heard of fruit juice in your mee siam?
Before you think this is some weird food combination from the Internet, Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa 馳名結霜橋三輪車叻沙 actually serves this dish for S$4/S$5/S$9 (with crayfish).
Mr Soo, the owner, prepares the mee siam broth with fruit juice for a zesty, healthy kick. Made with a secret recipe, it’s a food experience you won’t forget.
Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa 馳名結霜橋三輪車叻沙: 531A Upper Cross Street, #02-66, Hong Lim Market & Food Centre, Singapore 051531 | Opening Hours: 11.30am – 4.30pm (Mon to Sat), Closed on Sun
Aside from the three stalls we’ve featured, there are 55 more eateries on the Michelin Bib Gourmand 2019. Gather your friends, because it’s time to feast!
- A Noodle Story 超好面
- Alliance Seafood 联合海鲜烧烤
- *Anglo Indian (Shenton Way)
- Ar Er Soup阿2老火汤 (ABC Brickworks Food Centre)
- Balestier Road Hoover Rojak 豪华罗杂
- Bar-Roque Grill
- *Beach Road Fish Head Bee Hoon 美芝路鱼头米粉 (Whampoa Makan Place)
- *Bedok Chwee Kueh 勿洛水粿 (Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre)
- Bismillah Biryani
- Chai Chuan Tou Yang Rou Tang 柴船头羊肉汤 (Bukit Merah View Food Centre)
- *Chef Kang’s Noodle House 江师傅面家
- *Chen’s Mapo Tofu 陈麻婆豆腐
- Chey Sua Carrot Cake 青山菜头粿
- Chuan Kee Boneless Braised Duck全記 (Ghim Moh Market & Food Centre)
- Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Claypot Laksa 德普路真善美驰名砂煲叻沙
- Eminent Frog Porridge & Seafood 明辉田鸡粥海鮮煮炒店 (Geylang Road Lorong 19)
- Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa 驰名结霜桥三轮车叻沙
- Fresh Taste Big Prawn Noodle 知味鮮大蝦面 (Zion Riverside Food Centre)
- Fu Ming Cooked Food 福明熟食 (Redhill Food Centre)
- *Guan Kee Fried Kway Teow 源记鲜蛤炒粿条 (Ghim Moh Market & Food Centre)
- Hawker Chan Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle 了凡油鸡饭面 (78 Smith Street)
- Heng兴 (Newton Food Centre)
- *Hjh Maimunah (Jalan Pisang)
- *Hock Hai (Hong Lim) Curry Chicken Noodle 福海芳林咖喱鸡面 (Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre)
- Hong Heng Fried Sotong Prawn Mee 鸿兴炒苏东虾面 (Tiong Bahru Market)
- Hong Kee Beef Noodle 桐记牛肉粿条 (Amoy Street Food Centre)
- Hong Kong Yummy Soup 真之味香港靚汤 (Alexandra Village Food Centre)
- Hoo Kee Rice Dumpling和记肉粽 (Amoy Street Food Centre)
- *Indocafe – The White House
- J2 Famous Crispy Curry Puff 驰名香脆咖喱卜 (Amoy Street Food Centre)
- Ka-Soh 家嫂 (欧南园) (Outram Park)
- *Koh Brother Pig’s Organ Soup 许兄弟猪什汤 (Tiong Bahru Market)
- Kok Sen Restaurant 国成球记餐室
- Lao Fu Zi Fried Kway Teow 老夫子炒粿条 (Old Airport Road Food Centre)
- Lian He Ben Ji Claypot Rice 联合本记煲饭 (Chinatown Complex)
- Man Man (Tanjong Pagar) 鰻满 (丹戎巴葛)
- Muthu’s Curry (Little India)
- Na Na Homemade Curry 南南家咖哩 (Bukit Merah)
- New Lucky Claypot Rice 新鸿运瓦煲饭 (Holland Drive Market & Food Centre)
- Outram Park Fried Kway Teow Mee 欧南园炒粿条面 (Hong Lim Market & Food Centre)
- Shi Hui Yuan 实惠园 (Mei Ling Market & Food Centre)
- Shirokane Tori-tama 白金西域玉
- Sik Bao Sin (Desmond’s Creation) 吃饱先
- Sin Huat Eating House 新发餐厅
- Sin Kee Famous Cantonese Chicken Rice 新记 (Holland Drive)
- Song Fa Bak Kut Teh (New Bridge Road) 松发肉骨茶 (新桥路)
- Tai Wah Pork Noodle 大华肉脞面 (Hong Lim Market & Food Centre)
- The Blue Ginger
- Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice天天海南鸡饭 (Maxwell Food Centre)
- Tiong Bahru Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice 中峇鲁海南起骨鸡饭 (Tiong Bahru Food Centre)
- Tiong Bahru Yi Sheng Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee 中峇鲁益生炒福建虾面 (ABC Brickworks Food Centre)
- *To-Ricos Guo Shi 多丽哥粿汁 (Old Airport Road Food Centre)
- True Blue Cuisine
- Whole Earth 环界
- Yhingthai Palace 银泰
- Zaffron Kitchen (East Coast)
- Zai Shun Curry Fish Head 载顺咖喱鱼头
*First-time awardees in 2019
Drop by these eateries and tick them off your list!
Michelin Bib Gourmand Singapore 2019: Facebook | Website