Last Updated: March 10, 2021
Eateries in Singapore throw out 9 million kilograms of unsold food every year, and on a per day basis, this is equivalent to about 50,000 perfectly edible Nasi Lemak plates. And I quote this directly from Just Dabao — a platform aimed at reducing food wastage in Singapore. So much food is wasted every day due to unsold stock or bad batches because of human error, but the organisation’s mission is to at least lessen that by connecting layman diners like you and I to cafes and restaurants under this initiative.
Vouchers to meals at the partner eateries are known as Shiok Bags, and discounts go up to more than 50% for some merchants. Brief descriptions of the meal and eatery are stated on the website, but the full name and address of the place will be revealed upon payment of Shiok Bags. You’re allowed to choose specific food items at some places, while others remain a little more vague. You’re also required to pick the food up yourself, so all things considered, do purchase only if you’re comfortable with the terms.
1. Salad & Coffee (CBD – 3 min walk from Raffles Place MRT) @ S$3.90
2. Mala (Kallang – 7 min walk from Farrer Park MRT) @ S$12
3. Organic Wine (Geylang – 9 min walk from Paya Lebar MRT) @ S$29.90
4. Korean (Bukit Panjang – 5 min walk from Segar LRT) @ S$8.90
5. Western Bakery (Geylang – 3 min walk from Tai Seng MRT) @ S$11
6. French Bakery (Chinatown – 2 min walk from Chinatown MRT) @ S$12
7. Vegan Coffee (CBD – 2 min walk from Raffles Place MRT) @ S$3.90
8. Italian (Farrer Park – 3 min walk from Farrer Park MRT) @ S$15.50
9. Indonesian (Clementi – 34 min walk from Clementi MRT) @ S$6.25
10. Bakery & Dessert (Bendemeer- 1 min walk from Geylang Bahru MRT) @ S$16.90